Apples Versus Starfruit

This is a post for the photographers out there.  Whether you've been in business for years, or are just starting out.  I worry that by writing this post I may alienate s few photographers to a certain degree, but what I have observed lately in our
industry is unsettling.

Early this morning, a metaphor came to me.  I was slicing up my breakfast of exotic starfruit and found myself daydreaming about where this small, unique, and tasty treat came from.  What adventures it must have had to arrive on my counter!  Then, I saw the apple.  The trusy, same old, boring apple.  I've been appled to death, really.

And voila.  My metaphor was born:

Are you an Apple, or are you a Starfruit?

What's an Apple?

Well, it's a fruit.  Duh.  No, really- apples and starfruit are fruit.  They offer the same thing, really- a sweet treat.  And that's what
photographers are to each other- we offer the same services (to an undiscerning eye).

An Apple (photographer-ically speaking) has largely remained unchanged.  Their products and services are a garden variety of the same old, same old.  Their products are the same old, same old.  Their style widely reflects that of every. other. Apple. on. the. planet.  There is no real creativity.  There is no real attempt to better themselves and their output.  They see another Apple getting work, or follow a busy Starfruit, and copy. Copy EVERYTHING.  Copy the pricing, copy the product, copy the style, even down to each other's logos.  There are a variety of different Apples, sure.  But largely, widely, ultimately- they are the same.

Now, some Apples may provide a decent product at a reasonable (okay, super cheap) price.  I was an Apple once.  Everyone starts somewhere.  There is a market for Apples-- many clients LOOOVE Apples.  Apples are affordable, they are plentiful (lots to choose from), and I guess that there is some comfort in knowing exactly what you'll get.  But they don't last long unless they are shooting two or three weddings every single weekend in order to support running a business.

Being an Apple is nothing to be ashamed of.
But, do you want to remain an Apple forever?
Do you want to be just like everyone else?



Or do you want to be a Starfruit?



 AH. The Starfruit.

The exotic, adventurous, amazing Starfruit.

A Starfruit is undeniably cool.  They are candid, experienced, educated, and up-to-date.  They are always working to be BETTER.  To offer MORE.  They are all about the experience, the end result, the lasting quality of their work.  Starfruit are
flexible, different, and comfortable with what they produce.  There is no weird competition with other Starfruit- they are just off creating!

They are unconcerned with what the Apples are up
to- they are EVOLVING- Starfruit are turning each client into artwork.

        They have a distinct style all their own.

                                                    They are leaders.

                    They thrive on challenges.

Being a Starfruit is not about money or financial gain.  Well, not entirely.  It’s more about
understanding the requirements of having a
profitable business while maintaining integrity as an artist.

Sure, the cost of hiring a vendor who is a Starfruit is more than that of an Apple.  Just remember the old adage- you get what you pay for.  Starfruit have much more money (typically) wrapped up into their product.  Education. Equipment. Experience.  As a Starfruit, you want to ensure that your efforts to be different are rewarded. Experience and knowledge SHOULD be rewarded.

So as I ate my breakfast of the crisp and tangy starfruit I became pensive.  Maybe I’m wasting my time trying to label something that ought not be
labeled.

But, the glory in being a photographer is that
we have a say.

We have SAY in what kind of
photographer we want to be- in how we want to be
remembered.

I’d rather be a Starfruit.

I’d rather have clients that 100% appreciate the service I provide.  I’d rather be able to develop relationships with the people I photograph.  I’d rather offer an experience with a stellar end
product and a boatload of memories.  I’d rather be remembered fondly. I’d rather wake up and enjoy that it is another day I get to do what love.  I’d rather know that the product I produce is not like every other person.  I’d rather be original.  I’d rather photograph MY WAY.

I’d rather be a Starfruit.

And if you’re an Apple who wants to be a Starfruit- then do something about it.  Don’t do what many Apples do and rely on presets, copying, and
unethical behavior.  Be a Starfruit. Just BE.

Now, go forth and create.



-Laura

Comments