It Occured to Me.

It occured to me, as I sat among my piles of tissues and cough syrup, staring at my wall of pictures leading up the staircase, that I've only had professional pictures of myself done three times in my recent memory.  Senior pictures, engagement pictures, and wedding pictures.  I'm not counting the numerous times I've held out my arm, high above my head, and grinned into my own lens for Facebook purposes. 

Looking at the pictures hung on my wall, several of the images are from the engagement and wedding, and even the senior portraits.  I don't by any means discount the candid vacation photos strewn in between the professional images, as those are more precious to me than I care to admit, but there is something amazing about a professional image.  Perhaps it's the light?  The subject? The care in each photograph's execution? 

I have two purposes for this blog post, and I don't mind sharing.  First, that I am simply feeling wordy this fine Michigan morning.  Second, that someone somewhere will read this and understand that it is WORTH it- hiring a professional at least once in awhile. 

There, I said it.

Our culture has cultivated a desire to "Do it yourself" in nearly every aspect of our lives.  From television shows highlighting with ease the way to renovate our bathrooms, to adult education classes bent on teaching us how to make soap.  We seemingly tend to forget that there are people in the world who are experts by education, experience, and knowledge.  We forget to rely on each other's ability to provide what we don't have. 

I'm guilty.

I feel properly chastened- the few professional images of myself with my husband seem to gloat at me.  They smile at me, sitting cross legged on the carpet, saying, "This was 2007..."  I haven't had a professional image of myself taken since 2007? No. Seriously?!

That's why I smile when I talk to clients about professional photography-- I get it.  I'm there with you people.  I know how hard it is to make a choice between booking a session and paying a bill...

But then, something happened this week.  I realized right now, it is easy for me to make excuses.  I have no children, no one has passed away recently in my life, and my husband lets me take all the pictures of him that I want.  There's no immediacy in the need for professional pictures. Right?

Then I noticed the single picture on the wall of my grandfather, Charles.  I was three years old when he passed away.  There was no immediacy in having professional portraits taken back then, he was a photographer who dabbled in the art and there were plenty of pictures to go around.  But, something in me wishes now that there WAS that need, that understanding, that yes, a lasting professionally executed image would be worth it. 

I have snapshots on paper with ink that is not meant to last the test of time.  Already, my photographs are fading, discolored, and are losing detail with every rising sun.  My memories of the grandfather I lost are fading with the image hanging in my stairwell.

And now, how I wish they'd known back then what a picture of him would mean to me now.

I don't wish to be morbid, but there needs to be a calling to all people that urgency, immediacy, "ASAP-ness" is not what should drive us to capture memories of our loved ones.  It shouldn't be after a person has departed that we suddenly tell ourselves, "I wish.."  I don't want anyone to be left with just a wish.

Many of those who read my blog are not clients of mine- they are other professionals in the industry, people from other states and countries who I've happened to make a connection with, or family members who like to keep tabs on me.  I urge you all to consider what I'm trying to say- make it a goal, once a year, to have a professional portrait done.  The cost is fairly little now, and the value in the future to your loved ones is astronomical. 

Comments